Sunday, February 8, 2009

Alcatraz with Mom!


My Mom came to visit me this weekend! Since I've never been to Alcatraz I decided to put to put my birthday money to use and make a day of it. Here's my Mom and I on the ferry headed over the island.

We passed the lovely bay bridge on the way.

Here I am excited about our approach to the island.

After taking the exciting "spies and villains tour" and watching the orientation video we were ready for our audio tour of the cell house. Here is a photo of one of the cells...so tiny. It certainly would be a punishment to live your life in there.

Here's my Mom, behind bars. So sad.

Here I am in solitary confinement...I look scary. Solitary confinement makes you crazy.

My cute mom listening to the audio tour.

The gorgeous golden gate from the island.

You wouldn't expect it but "the rock", as Alcatraz is know, actually has some beautiful plant life. Families of prison guards use to live on the island.

Here I am enjoying the beauty of the bay during a break from the tour.

My Mom and I with SF in the background.

My Mom and I at the end of our tour! It was a great place to visit full of very interesting history.

Gorgeous view across the bay from the dock area.

Saying good-bye to Alcatraz!

Headed back to the city and freedom after a great day!

5 comments:

Myriah Cohen said...

1) The weather you had was great! It was all sorts of rainy here.

2) Is Mama Griffy wearing your jacket?

3) Solitary confinement DOES make you crazy! That was a great picture!

Tara said...

1. yes it was an amazing day weatherwise! They had the outdoor areas that aren't usually open, open too!
2. Yes my mom is wearing my jacket, I gave it to her cause it's too big.
3. my solitary confinement pic did turn out quite nice thanks to my Mom and her great photo skills, getting only one eye!

Vee said...

Such fun pictures! I love that picture with the bridge and the seagull.

Lesley said...

Nice pics! Did you see any of the ghosts that haunt Alcatraz?

Tara said...

no I had no idea there were ghosts there! Do tell.