Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bling-bling, a Melting heart, and Snot!


So I know that I usually dont post very often buy I decided that today was a day worthy of a blog post...mostly because it was just full of surprises.
First this week is "classified employee appreciation week" at the school that I work at. Basically this means everyone who's not a teacher is pampered (they had teacher appreciation week 2 weeks ago). This morning the PTA brought us breakfast of donuts, beagles, and muffins. They also had a gift for each of us which included a key chain, a jamba juice gift card, and ring with a huge colored stone. It was such a grand surprise that I wore mine all day as did all of my co-workers. We looked quite fancy as you can see from the picture...I think I should add more "bling-bling" to my wardrobe.
Second there is a little girl in our class who just loves me. She is an afternoon kindergartner and every day when she arrives she walks up to me and while standing as close as possible says "hi, Tara" and just looks at me like I'm the best friend EVER! It just melts my heart. Today during recess she decided that it would be a good idea to drag the tub, that is supposed to be outside the bathroom for students to put their stuff in while in the bathroom, over to the drinking fountain and taking water in her mouth and spit it into the tub just for a good time. She only got one mouthful in by the time I got there but I have no doubt she would have kept going if I hadn't come along and distracted her with something else. It surprises me just what kids think is a good time sometimes.
Lastly. During story/calendar time today and I had one of the kids standing next to me while I sat in a chair. I was trying to get her to sit on her carpet square and pay attention but she kept getting back up and trying to sit on my lap or leave the circle. So we finally compromised in her standing still next to me while paying attention to the teacher. After awhile I was distracted trying to keep the other kids around me under control. Near the end of calendar I turn to see what she is doing she was still standing there quietly just the turns toward me and smiles like the good little girl she was being and ...sneezes all over my skirt....all I could say was "really?" wow she couldn't have sneezed while looking away. I know that's not how it works but...yuck. It seems like maybe working with kids and constantly being around snot because there is always one of them sick you would get use to snot...but you don't...it's still sick.

4 comments:

Usandthings said...

Man, the snot is the reason my mom switched from teaching kindergarten to teaching 5th grade; she just couldn't handle it anymore.

Myriah Cohen said...

You ARE the best friend EVER!


Oh man, that sneezing thing was super gross, and I'm pretty sure you shouldn't settle for anything less than that bling when you find yourself a man and an engagement ring.

So that last post was a foot, and this one was a hand, so what is next?

An ear?

I can't wait.

Lesley said...

Tara dear, there is always some sort of bodily fluids involved when you are around children. Just get some hand sanitizer and douse yourself every few hours!

I love the ring. I think that you should wear it often, it fits you!

Lesley said...

PS I am hoping for a picture of your elbow next!